Back Home Next

Wilhelmus "Bill" Bosman


Ontario, Canada

1932 / Class of 2003 / Chem exposure, back fractures, light-chains, renal failure / Died 7-03

From his daughter, Yolanda Mundt;

My Dad was born in Holland and served some time in the army. He came to Canada at the age of 27 and they lived up in the Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie area. He worked up in Wawa, Timmins area. He was a foreman electrician who spent a lot of his early years working with asbestos, working at petroleum plants, and working in mines up North. My mother remembers how his clothes would smell of a lot of the chemicals. As I have just recently learned, my dad took early retirement because he was just so tired. He retired at the age of 64. After retiring they moved down to South Western Ontario. He did have heart disease in the family but seemed to not have any problems. He did have regular visits to his doctor. The problem was that he never complained to the doctor. I didn't even know.

He was diagnosed three weeks before his death, after complaining of sudden back pain for several months. He went to the doctor about a month before his diagnosis, but the doctor kept sending him home. He even went to the emergency at a local hospital, but they sent him home. I am a health care worker, so I became upset at his lengthy pain.

I pushed him to go back, and despite reluctance by his physician, he ordered x-rays. There they saw two compression fractures at T6 and T12. From there we were lucky to get him in quickly for an MRI and there they gave the diagnosis of either MM or Osteo. He then went for a BMD, and it was normal. He was then seen in the hospital by a specialist who performed a marrow biopsy. Those results came back as MM. He had light chains, and the biopsy result revealed cells that were very immature.

The specialist was skeptical that treatment would work, but he was sent to a hematologist-oncologist who started him on his first treatment. While in the hospital my dad suffered renal failure, then respiratory failure, then heart failure. He did recover, but then suffered a third and final heart attack. Our family decided to no longer continue life support knowing that he was down for 1/2 hour the 3rd time and the neurological damage would be very evident. His quality of life would not have been the same, with now needing heart bypass, dialysis, chemotherapy treatment, and living with fractures.

He died at the age of 71. I guess he won't have to suffer like many do suffer. That is the only thing that gives us peace.

Yolanda Mundt


Site 2000-2015 Dean Gallea (in loving memory of June Brazil)

Site 1996-1999 June Brazil - Webmaster:
(To email story contributor, see address at top of story)